Without your garage door rollers, opening and closing your overhead garage doors would more difficult and inconvenient.
Rollers function by guiding your garage doors during the opening and closing whilst making sure that operations are smooth and without a hitch.
When your garage door rollers break down on you, this can potentially lead to a lot of problems for your garage doors such as screeching noise, unbalanced doors, etc.
The good news is, replacing your defective garage door rollers can easily be done even by a complete amateur.
As long as they follow the procedures diligently, they should be able to do the task successfully without any problems.
Just make sure that once you notice that your rollers are no longer in good condition, make sure to have them replaced right away and do not prolong the situation and wait for things to get worse.
So, interested in learning how to replace a broken garage door roller without having to rely on your local garage door repair company?
If you are, then this article is certainly made for you.
Knowing when your rollers need to be replaced
Before jumping to learning the entire process of how to replace a broken garage door roller, let us first learn how to know when your rollers need to be replaced.
Garage door rollers are parts of your garage doors that you can usually find attached to the sides of your garage door.
They are connected to the tracks, guiding your doors when you open them and close them, making sure that everything is working as it should be without any problems.
Your garage rollers may seem to be minor components, but without them, your garage door will be more prone to issues like unbalanced doors, opening and closing problems, and many other issues.
And time will come when you will eventually need to have them replaced.
However, how do you know when the time has come for you to replace your existing overhead garage door rollers?
Well, it’s pretty simple really.
When your rollers break down, there are some very clear tell-tale signs that will help you know that it is time to replace your broken garage door rollers.
And here are some of the most common signs that you should definitely look out for:
- Your garage doors keep getting stuck
- Your garage doors are making loud unnecessary noises
- Your garage door rollers seem to have come loose
- The feeling of resistance when opening your garage doors
There are many other things you should definitely look out for but these here are the most common tell-tale signs for your broken garage door roller.
If you find yourself having any of these issues, make sure to check your garage door rollers and have them fixed accordingly.
Preparing for the task
In order to properly replace your broken garage door rollers, there are some things that you definitely need to prepare beforehand.
With the right preparation, you can tackle your problem accordingly with greater chances of successfully dealing with them.
When repairing your garage doors, technical and theoretical knowledge is not enough to do the job right.
You will also need some tools and equipment that will aid you with the job.
And for replacing garage door rollers, here are the tools and equipment that you will need to help you out:
- Claw Hammer
- Replacement Rollers
With the proper equipment at hand, replacing your rollers will now be easier to do and accomplish.
After having prepared the following tools and equipment, you may now proceed to replace your broken garage door rollers.
Replacing a broken garage door roller
Replacing your broken garage door rollers can be really easy to do.
As long as you follow all the instructions and do the task cautiously, then you should not be having any problems replacing your defective rollers.
To replace your broken garage door rollers, here are the things you need to do and follow:
- Make sure to unplug your garage door opener from the power source and detach it from your garage doors to make sure that your door will not suddenly open or close on you during the entire repair procedure.
- After that, lift your garage door manually a few feet above the ground.
- Place a clamp under your garage door to support it in case something goes wrong and to prevent the door from causing you any injuries during the repair.
- Look for the area where your damaged or defective garage door roller is located.
- Once you have found the broken garage door rollers, deform the tracks around them a bit using the claw hammer and try loosening the screws holding your tracks in place a bit to make it easier to pry your garage door rollers.
- Pry your roller away from your tracks and remove it from the brackets holding it in place.
- After having removed the damaged roller, you may now proceed to install the replacement garage door rollers and secure them tightly in place.
- Once done, place it back in your tracks and fix your previously deformed garage door tracks.
- Repeat steps 4-8 until you have successfully replaced all the garage door rollers that need to be replaced.
- Lastly, remove your garage door clamps, reattach and plug your opener, and test your garage door’s functionality after having installed the new rollers in place.
To help you out further with the entire replacement procedure, you may refer to the video below.
So, were you able to successfully replace your broken garage door rollers?
Hopefully, with this guide, you were able to do so properly.
Your garage door rollers are still important components of your entire mechanical system so if ever they break down, you must have them replaced right away before it causes any further damage.
Whether you decide to fix them yourself or ask for professional help is all up to you.
If you are looking for a garage door repair company in Edmonton that can help you out with replacing your garage door rollers, then you should definitely try out Legion Garage Doors.
They provide quality and premium 24/7 garage door repair services for all its customers alike plus they are able to serve you no matter the time of day.
Legion Garage Door also caters to other garage-door related services such as garage door installation and maintenance services.
Your garage doors only deserve the best treatment and care and here at legion garage doors, we can do that for you.
What are you waiting for?
Pick up your phones now and contact us or visit our company at our main office located in Edmonton.